January 16, 2013

Flash Reviews


Quick bits about books I've read.
This week is all about Lisa Schroeder and a few of her verse novels. 


I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder
Flash: This book is a ghost story so creepy should be there but it's also a verse novel so the creepy factor is cranked up to maximum. So few words but you get the most clear picture. An Honest story about a girl whose world gets shaken up by loss. Yet another reason to love verse novels.

"I am warm-hearted. I am affectionate. I am reliable. I am generous. I am smart. I am strong. Today, I add another one. I am hopeful." pg 226

"Guilt reminds me of a stray cat. You chase it away, and yet it comes back when you least expect it." pg 217

Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder
Flash: A verse novel in dual perspectives? How does she do it? She manages to weave an elegant tale about loss, the shadows that haunt us, and everyday superheros while staying in verse. Verse writing is one of my favorite types. I know it doesn't work for some people but something about it speaks to me the way other styles can't. Nico is very much an everyday hero and is one of my favorite guys in YA fiction now.Love, loss, and everything in between. Stunning. Heart-breaking. Elegant.

"After all, it's not just superheros who use their powers for the good of mankind." pg 360


The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder
Flash: So I read this on my own day before coincidently enough. It was right before I shipped myself to Idaho and I found myself completely in sync with the main characters Amber and Cade. I knew how it felt to be right on the edge of change. Once I read this book I knew, I knew, that I would always be a fan of Lisa Schroeder.

"Kelly Looks nothing like me, acts nothing like me, is really nothing like me. But she is my sister. And that means everything." pg unknown

"Life is the bad with the good. The deadly sharks with the beautiful sea stars. the gigantic waves with the sea castles. The licorice with the lemon and lime. The loud lyrics with the rhythm of music. The Lover disease with the love of a father and son. It's life. Sweet, beautiful, wind on your face, air in your lungs, kisses on your lips. Life." pg 299

I earnestly recommend any of these and her other verse novel Far From You. I can't wait to get my hands on more of her books!!

-Kare Out-

2 comments:

  1. I've read "I Heart You, You Haunt Me." Loved it. And then I read her cupcake books with my daughter. Loved that too.

    But I haven't gotten around to "Chasing Brooklyn," and only recently heard about "The Day Before." I really need to get on the ball.

    I really love your mini reviews, and the excerpts add a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to review all of these at once. I've only read The Day Before and was pretty blown away by it.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.